Dairy is the most common of the allergens and usually the first one pediatricians recommend for moms to eliminate. Here are a list of dairy-free “staples.” It is by no means an extensive list. Be aware that many of these items do contain other allergens (soy, wheat), and many are more processed and not “whole foods.” Always check the labels because products may change.
- dairy-free “butter” : Smart Balance Organic Vegan Spread (contains soy – available locally at Harris Teeter), Earth Balance Soy Free Whipped Spread (available locally at the Whole Foods in Davidson, NC), Earth Balance Buttery Spread Sticks (contains soy), Fleishman’s Unsalted Margarine (contains soy).
- dairy-free and soy-free milk substitutes: Organic Rice Dream Rice Milk, So Delicious Coconut Milk.
- dairy-free bread options: Nature’s Own Breads (contains soybean oil), Thomas Bagels, Arnold Whole Wheat
- dairy-free ice cream: So Delicious Coconut Ice Cream
- Dairy, egg free chicken nuggets: Coleman’s Organic Chicken Nuggets.
- Ghiradelli chocolate chips
- Other sna+ck items that are usually dairy and egg-free (these do contain soy/wheat): pretzels, Ritz crackers, saltines, Oreos, plain potato chips, graham crackers, marshmellows, flour tortillas, chocolate syrup, most pasta products.